Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Hummingbird Bakery


For a long time I have been utterly convinced that baking was not for me. Many a cake has not risen, burnt, turned into liquid sugar, exploded and travelled backwards in time… well not quite, but nearly (one unfortunate sponge travelled all the way to the neighbour’s garden at high velocity). So imagine my joy at discovering that it was not my fault after all, but really down to pathetic ovens and decrepit scales. Pah! I hear you say. A good workman never blames his tools etc. Well, this workman is actually a worklady and you haven’t tasted my lemon cupcakes, so zip it.

And it’s all thanks to a lovely little place in London called The Hummingbird Bakery. The talented people there have published a book which details their amazing cakes and has instilled in me the joy of baking. If you’re lucky enough to live near one of their shops, I am terribly, terribly envious.

Since reading their recipes I’ve been inspired and if it weren’t for the waistline, I’d be baking every weekend. Alas, I can’t afford a new wardrobe in a larger size so I’ll have to stick to the occasional pecan pie (served warm with vanilla ice cream). I like to add a touch of cinnamon to the proceedings, especially at this time of year, but I’m not sure if that’s bad etiquette when it comes to the real American version. I'll have to consult one of my friends from across the pond - here's hoping I avoid a wide-eyed stare and a pumpkin pie in the face.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! A nice new blog to read! I take it you recommend the Hummingbird Bakery book then... I have been dithering over it for a while - since I visited one of their bakeries in London and had the most heavenly lemon-coconut cupcake - so I might just have to give in and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes it's great! I definately recommend it. They don't mess about with any complex or hard to find ingredients and the results are always lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete